Sunday, February 19, 2012

Tres Leches Cake :)

Tonight I went to my aunt and uncle's house for dinner, and I decided that I wanted to make a dessert.  I didn't have any butter but I had random things like whipping cream and sweetened condensed milk, so I decided to look on www.allrecipes.com (my favorite recipe website) for something that I could make.  I ended up finding a recipe for Tres Leches Cake which I love but have never made before, so I decided to give it a try.  


As a funny side story, here is what happened when I told my roommate what I was making.
Me: I think I'm going to make Tres Leches Cake
Roommate: You're making day of the dead cake?
Me: no ha ha
Roommate: What's day of the dead called then?
Me: Dia de los Muertos
Roommate: Wait what did you say you were making?
Me: Tres Leches
Roommate: Same thing....


Here is my version of the recipe because I made some changes to the one I found online.



Ingredients

  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 5 egg yolks
  • 5 egg whites
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
  • 1 pint heavy whipping cream
  • Caramel Syrup

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter the bottom of a 13x9 inch  pan.
  2. Beat the egg yolks with 3/4 cup sugar until light in color and doubled in volume. Stir in milk, vanilla, flour and baking powder.
  3. In a small bowl, add remaining 1/4 cup sugar and  beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold egg whites into yolk mixture. Pour into prepared pan.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) until light brown and cooked all of the way through. For me this was only 25 minutes.
  5. Mix together condensed milk, evaporated milk and 1/4 cup of the whipping cream. Set aside 1 cup of the measured milk mixture or cover and refrigerate.
  6. Poke many holes all over the cake using the back of a wooden spoon, and pour remaining milk mixture over hot cake slowly until absorbed. Follow by pouring desired amount of caramel into the cake.
  7. Add desired amount of sugar and left over milk mixture to the remaining whipping cream and whip until it thickens and reaches spreading consistency. Frost cake with whipped cream, drizzle with caramel, and set in the fridge to cool.



Although some people like this dessert warm, it is originally meant to be served cold, and that is how I think it tastes best.  It turned out really great for me and it was a hit.  My cousin served his mission in Mexico and he said it tasted pretty authentic :) You'll have to let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment