Saturday, March 17, 2012

Vegetables

Like most little kids, when I was growing up I wasn't a huge fan of vegetables.  I liked salad and raw carrots, and that was about it.  As I grew older I started liking a few more things like green beans and squash.  Ever since I started my job as a cook at the BYU Cannon Center, I have loved vegetables!  It is probably because I am the person that prepares most of the vegetables that we serve.  One thing that I especially hated when I was  little but have turned a 360 to love are cooked carrots.  Lately I just can't get enough of them (just ask my roommates.) My favorite way to prepare them is to steam them and then add some salt, pepper, butter, and brown sugar.  Don't they just make your mouth water?
Another one of my favorite vegetable to cook at work are asparagus.  I like to slightly steam them first and then put them on the grill/skillet with butter and then salt and pepper them.  
A new vegetable that I've tried at work is bok choy.  Not many people know what it is, but it is a really good type of chinese cabbage.  We usually oven roast it with just some salt and pepper and serve it with some teriyaki flank steak.

Today I went grocery shopping and scored great in the produce section.  I bought fresh carrots, avocados, pears, and red potatoes, and they were all on sale! I guess out of all the things I could have a sudden addiction to, vegetables are a pretty good thing :)


No comments:

Post a Comment