Monday, March 26, 2012

Festival of Colors!

Sorry for the lack of posts lately, but I have been super busy just living the college life.  On Friday night I went to my friend Charlotte's oboe recital, then I went to our church's temple, and then I had a late night movie night with some friends that ended up lasting pretty darn late.  Saturday morning I went with Charlotte to see the Hunger Games with Charlotte (which was amazing!) and then I went to Festival of Colors with my FHE group.  For those of you who don't know what that is, it is a Hindu celebration of spring. The largest Festivals of Color held in the in the Western Hemisphere just happens to be held in Spanish Fork, UT so we decided to go.  Here is a fun little video that pretty much explains what happens.
Since there was a lot of traffic, the drive to Spanish Fork took about an hour and then we had to park about 2 miles away from the Krishna Temple (where the festival is held) so it took another twenty minutes or so to walk (the streets and sidewalks were way crowded.)  Just on the way walking there, we passed people who were on their way home and random people started throwing colors at us. Here is what we looked like before we left Provo.
And just on the walk over this happened to us 
By the time we had spent 15 minutes inside the festival we already looked like this 
From then on, it was just madness, and random people would throw colors at you wherever or whenever they felt like it.  Here are some more pictures of the general madness.
(in the middle of taking this picture, some dude decided to throw a whole bag of purple into our faces which is why we're squinting)
At 7:00 everyone counted down from 10 and the whole crowd threw their colors up in the air at the same time.  It was really cool until the colors all mixed and turned into such a thick brown cloud that you couldn't see a foot in front of your face (which is why we wore the bandannas).  Here is a picture I found online of the throwing. ( And yep we were smack in the middle of that huge crowd)

 I got some pretty cool pictures (although most of the time my camera stayed safely guarded in a plastic bag.) Here are my favorites of the ones I took.

 By the time we got back into Provo that night, it was around 9 and we went to grab some food at J Dawgs.  Afterwards we decided that we should all just do one huge load of laundry with all of our colored clothes, so we did, and while we waited we decided to play basketball.  This ended up once again turning into another really late but really fun night.  If I had to pick a quote that fit the theme of this weekend (including tonight) it would have to be this one

“No One Looks Back On Their Life And Remembers The Nights They Got Plenty Of Sleep.”

I sure didn't get very much sleep this weekend, but I will definitely always remember it.










No comments:

Post a Comment