Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Touch Up Paint

So remember a couple weeks back when I got in that little fender bender in the parking lot?  Well it chipped some paint off my front bumper.  My car is my baby and so every time I saw it with the chips in the paint it made me cringe.  Getting it professionally fixed would've cost a couple hundred dollars, which is something a college student doesn't just have lying around, so I decided to take matters into my own hands.  I got online and found some touch up paint.  When buying touch up paint you need to be careful to find the exact shade.  Although you may just think red paint is red paint, it is not.  They even have a different paint color for every year of the same model car.  The exact shade of my car was "torch red" or D3. To find the color code for your car, look at the sticker inside your door and then look up what shade the code stands for.
  It should look like this.
 
The paint I bought came in a cute little bottle with a nail polish-like brush applicator.  Before painting, you need to make sure the area is super clean.  I even rubbed the area with an alcohol prep pad (I felt like I was preparing it for surgery ha ha).  For the best results, you probably also need to sand down the area, although I didn't do this because wouldn't have had enough paint to cover the area.  It took several coats, and doesn't look great up close, but it looks much better!
Here is my bumper before
And here it is after
Like I said, it isn't smooth or anything, but at least the primer isn't showing anymore.  
Here's one last fun fact for the day: my car's name is Toby.  What's your car's name?



No comments:

Post a Comment